Inception (2010) Review

 I finally got to add a really recommended film to my watchlist, that Film being Inception.


Inception on IMDB


I found it captivating as a watch, which was refreshing since I sometimes get anxious about watching a film at certain points where I feel myself getting confused or bored by the plot. Sometimes, a film, for example, McQueen’s Hunger did make me really worried and anxious, which can put me off watching a certain film. 


The storyline is simple in itself, being that a father won’t allow himself emotionally to get over the suicide of his wife to return to his young children. He is convinced that if he returns to America he will be held at the border or otherwise arrested for the circumstances of his wife’s suicide, which she made look like he was the sole cause of the confusion, leading to her early death. 


The soundtrack is one of the main driving forces behind the visuals of this one so, it influenced me heavily, guiding a person who might watch this through easily. Although, themes in this film are quite coldly explored at times, and heavy in subjects like Suicide, Dealing with Loss and Fantasy Violence where a person can actually be harmed.  The track, titled "Mind Heist" which is in the film and the third trailer I saw, wasn’t actually composed by Hans Zimmer but, Zack Hemsey. 


Influences of this film can be seen quite plainly with its camerawork, stunts and set pieces among other things. The Penrose stairs by Maurits Escher are shown in a training dreamscape, and another character also navigates a corridor in an altered gravity or zero-gravity environment.


The camerawork itself seems like it could have used Dutch tilts or vertical and horizontal dolly tracks. The joy of this film for me is that the camerawork and editing make it so seamless so, I can’t actually tell!


I did find out that this film only contains around five hundred special effects shots though, so I really appreciate the stunts that are woven in with those to add to the surrealist parts of the film. 


Mal who is the wife of the main Protagonist is the french word for bad, and one of the characters is coincidentally or not, called Maurice.


Adriane the student architect is named after the daughter of Minos who helps Theseus out of the Minotaur's maze, which is apt since Adriane helps Dom Cobb combat and escape his Antagonistic memory of his wife who follows him into all the dreamscapes he enters.


Dom as a character name means Home in most language roots which is the main goal of Cobb- To return to his family.


An example of cognitive semantics by George Lakoff is used when Arthur asks another character to not think of something. “Elephants. Now don’t think about Elephants. What’re you thinking of?”


Paintings influenced by Frances Bacon are shown in one particular character’s dreamscape, known for their pained and unusual looks often like that of Edvard Munch’s set of paintings called “The Scream”.


In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Christopher Nolan explained that he based roles of the Inception team similar to roles that are used in filmmaking - Cobb is the Director, Arthur is the Producer, Ariadne is the Production Designer, Eames is the Actor, Saito is the Studio, and Fischer is the Audience. "In trying to write a team-based creative process, I wrote the one I know," said Nolan.


There’s a lot to take in with this film in the complexity and equally, it’s actual simplicity so, hopefully, I’ve explained well enough above about why I’m giving it at least eight stars.


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Comments